Sunday, December 07, 2003

For Whom The Bell Tolls




Did I know Frank? I'm not sure I can say. I knew more than I intended and less than I should. I exchanged emails with Frank on a regular basis. As such, I truly believe that what AuntieKrissy has written is true. Some of it is the exact wording of emails sent to me by Frank. However, the character of the man is not what I am addressing here. Because, sadly, with his death it doesn't really matter anymore.

His passing, and my mixed feelings about the mystery of exactly who he was, made me think of a treatise by John Donne. It's a religious piece but it also speaks to the humanity of us all and the connection we have to each other.

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

With this said, I wish that those who are grieving or hurting as a result of his loss will find comfort. For Frank, my hope is that his soul will find peace.

No comments: