Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why I love blogging...

Reason #1

Having someone post an entry about a long forgotten childhood toy and for a split second being transported back in time. I completely forgot about playing with those. I was a creative wanna-be as a child that's why I got the plates. I forget that I did have a creative side. I guess because I repressed it for so long.

Ladies, and (some) gentlemen, I give you Fashion Plates.

I'd post a picture but it seems Blogger is hiccupping at the moment. Follow either of the links and you'll see what I'm talking about.

9 comments:

Cynthia said...

I remember those! I remember the kids I used to babysit playing with them, and I indulged as well.

Donna. W said...

I had to buy a Merlin on Ebay because it brought back so many good memories of when my little girl had one. They haven't made them for years, but they're plentiful, and cheap. My granddaughter was playing with Merlin today, and that unique beeping took me back 30 years.

Lisa :-] said...

Being as how I'm quite a bit older than you, we didn't have fashion plates. But we did have paper dolls (we called them "cut outs") for whom we drew our own very elaborate outfits, cut them out and tabbed them on. It was great fun.

aims said...

I was a little girl in the 70's. I can't remember these. Hmmm ...
But I do remember (and had many) paper dolls.

Take care!
Mia

Gigi said...

I absolutely adored my 'Mods' paper dolls ~ saucer-eyed Keane-takeoffs of dancing waifs in groovy duds. I can still see my favorite outfit ~ a silver swinging mini dress with dangling silver ball earrings. I dreamed of being old enough to wear that outfit....sigh

Hey! Now I am!

Gotta go shopping. :)

emmapeelDallas said...

My daughters both had Fashion Plates, but I'd completely forgotten about them until I read this! Thanks for the memories!

:)

Judi

AlbGlinka said...

wow, that is one low-tech toy! I wonder if kids today would put up with it when there's Barbie Fashion Design software available instead.

btw, hi! :-) Alb.

V said...

Hugs,
V

Becky said...

Oooo yeah! I had those! My little neighborhood friends would pretend we were designing fashions for our Barbies. Big talk about how we'd sew them for real. LOL