Monday, November 17, 2003

With the kind of boys you date

My memory is not the greatest. But there are some things that are imprinted on your mind like they occurred just yesterday. I was 16 at the time and a senior in high school. We lived in Texas. Los Fresnos to be exact. Never heard of it? Neither had I until six months after I came back home to Pennsylvania did I find out that we were moving there. Actually, I thought we were moving to Harlingen but once we got down to the "Valley," they (my mom and husband # 4) bought a house in Los Fresnos and there we stayed, for a little while anyhow.

To make the move at the end of my junior year wasn't that big of a deal to me. It only meant the fourth school in one year's time. I was accustomed to making friends quickly. And the guys always like the new girl so my dating life was quite busy. There was one neighbor boy, John, who became a very good friend. I dated several of his friends. His cousin and I dated most of my senior year but we kept breaking up and getting back together. John and I even ended up dating for a while towards the end. But, I did him wrong because of his cousin. I was young and fickle then. I just wanted to have fun. These guys were gorgeous, the cream of the crop, football players, the guys all the girls wanted.

I know what you're thinking. My mom thought it too. Why did I get them? I must have been putting out. But, I didn't. I was too afraid. I didn't want to ruin my life by getting pregnant and abstinence was the only sure way I wouldn't. I wasn't fridged, I loved "making out." I tried with one guy to do a little something more to make him happy. Poor guy, I hadn't a clue. Never tried that again, until several years later. But, I never slept with any of them. I never even let them touch me down there for fear I would give in.

I'm not sure how the conversation came about. My mom and I were talking about abortion in the kitchen on Resaca Drive. I told her I believed in a woman's right to choose and she told me if I ever got pregnant I had better have the baby and give it to her to raise. I told her Hell No! I know the kind of mother you have been. Why would I ever allow you to raise my child? I said: Besides I don't mess around so there's nothing to worry about. Her reply: Oh please, with the kindof boys you date. I know you're not a virgin! -- Thanks mom! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yup that's why they dated me because I was putting out.

No comments: