Saturday, November 29, 2003

I love my job

It sounds strange because you really don't hear people say that very often. But, I really do. I love the company I work for and I love what I do. I wear two hats, A/R Senior Accountant and Office Manager, actually more, I'm also responsible for overhauling the Safety Program. I'm paid well for the work that I do which of course is key. As such, I don't feel that I am being abused.

When I moved to California, I had been laid off from my job in Dallas. It was the second layoff in two years. I always wanted to live in L. A. I figured the job market out here couldn't be any worse than Dallas. Since I had been out of work for over a month when moving out here, my goal was to have a job within a month of arriving to L. A. I accomplished my goal. I got a job with a new company in the commercial equipment finance industry. After about two years, I realized that the job wasn't going to develop as I had hoped. I was bored. It was a motivating reason for me to go to school. My plan was to stick with the job until I finished school. However, last July I caught my boss in an unethical situation and I felt staying on would be duplicitous. I gave my notice and confronted him on what he was doing. He tried to justify his actions but I stuck to my guns. I worked with him, as he did me, to not leave until a replacement was found. He drug his feet about hiring someone until I found out he was trying to keep me around until after the first of the year. So, I began pushing him to find someone. He finally did when I had an interview for a Job Cost Accountant position that looked very promising. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I didn't get that job. It did, however, motivate him to hire someone. Although, it ended up leaving me unemployed during the holiday season. As such, I took a temp position as an Executive Assistant to the C.F.O. for the company I am currently with. By doing so, I was at the right place at the right time to get the position(s) I now hold. The company I work for is above and beyond ethical by all that I can tell. So much so that by being so even costs them a higher profit margin. Yet, they are because it's the right thing to do. I feel great because not compromising my ethics paid off. It's nice to know that what goes around really does come around, even for the good.

No comments: