Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sugar Art


I still haven't found the link for the woman who does sand art so I thought I'd show my version of it. However, it isn't sand in that canister. It's sugar. I made the switch to natural sugar instead of the white bleached stuff but was afraid it wouldn't work well in baking and bought the white stuff the last time I did some baking. The white stuff kept sitting around as I bypassed it for the natural stuff in my day-to-day usings. So, the last time I filled the sugar canister I decided to make it interesting and do layers of bleached and natural sugars, kind of pretty sitting on my counter. Too bad it's almost gone now though.

I baked a cake the other night which really knocked a dent in it. I'm pleased to say it worked just fine in the baking process. Well, what I could taste around the burnt parts, anyhow. The blasted recipe has the wrong temperature and time. I know this. I thought I was being careful when I started checking it at the forty five minute mark but I was a bit distracted by the horrible singing on American Idol that it got a bit too crispy and dark on the outside of it. But the center where the apples are and the top was delish, so some of the girls at work said and I concur.

Speaking of work. Yes, it is the middle of the day and I'm blogging. I'm on vacation. Can I hear a weeeeeee!!! and a woot!!!? Too bad it's not happening in France and London at the end of the month like my original plan but everything worked out for the best and I'm just glad to have the time off now to have some fun and get some things taken care of that I needed to get done. Speaking of which...

4 comments:

Donna. W said...

Enjoy your vacation! Everybody needs one from time to time (except for me, because I seem to be on vacation all the time).

Wil said...

Enjoy the time off, but be sure to wear your Personal Flotation Device (PFD) when out and about. I'd hate to see you float away in the flood waters with that mini... at least we'd be able to find the body if you had a PFD on! J/K
;)

Lisa :-] said...

Hey...don't disappear so quickly. Blogging is a good vacation passtime...isn't it?

And remember, the Pacific Northwest is only a few (!) hours drive north...!

alphawoman said...

Wow!! A couple of entries!! You should take time off more often!