Thursday, July 14, 2005

Seattle Vacation - Day Two

I don't know what is wrong with me this week. I've been absolutely exhausted when I get home. I'm falling asleep right in the middle of doing stuff and as early as 9:30p some nights which is unusual for me. And, it's really screwing up my sleep pattern because then I wake up at 2a or 3a in the morning and can't fall asleep. I kept to my normal sleep pattern while on vacation so I'm not quite sure what is up. Usually, I just try to listen to my body though and go with the flow. But, it's made for very limited time online so continuing with my vacation entries has been slow going. Very slow going! I'm only up to day two. I know most probably want to hear and see pictures of day three and four. They're coming. Be patient.

Day two, Patty and I went down to Pike's Market. It's probably the only place that I knew for sure that I wanted to see. Probably because it was the only thing I had heard of about Seattle. They are known for throwing fish, that's about all I knew.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to explore it as much as I would have liked. Patty's health isn't the greatest and there are lots of hills and stairs to climb. She was breathing hard but was a real trooper as we walked up and down stairs and back again because I just had to find this restaurant that I heard about on 43Places called "Matt's in the Market." For me, it was well worth the trek to find and I think Patty felt the same. It's a small restaurant on the second floor of one of the buildings in the market. Apparently reservations are highly recommended especially for dinner, we were lucky to get a seat at the counter. I had the Yellowtail with curry sauce and Potato-gratin with a delicious wine that I can't remember the name of. It's a small hole-in-the-wall kind of place, only four or five tables and a long counter. The cook is in a corner behind the counter at the front, a cute little blonde who looks more comfortable in a bikini on a Cali beach than she does concocting such wonderful delicacies. Then there are the waitstaff. Two guys with a bit of sacrcasm and charm who attendto your every need. And of course there is Matt. A bit unassuming and shy. I had to twist his arm to get him to pose for a picture for me. He'd probably have a fit if he knew my intention was to post it on the 'net. Oh well!

Patty and I got to see a fish thrown in the market and I slapped the arse of the bronze pig that has some kind of special meaning for those who rub it. I guess good luck. I wonder what was betowed upon me for the burning whack that I gave it. Hmmm...maybe that's why I've been so tired. It cursed me for my lack of respect.

After spending the day in the market, Patty and I went over to Jules and Harry's for dinner again. The picture below is not my most flattering but I just had to share it. I, as well as everyone else in the house was quite shocked when Meela decided to hop on my lap as I was rocking the baby to sleep. You see Meela and I have a rocky past. I don't know what it is with me and cats. They either hate me or love me. There's no in-between.

My first meeting with Meela was five years ago about a week or two before Patty and I became roommates. It was already arranged that I would be rooming with her but I hadn't moved in yet when Patty called and asked me for a favor. You see, her daughter, Jules, was marrying Harry. Everyone was in town for the wedding including her eldest daughter and her three children. The night of the rehearsal dinner, they felt it was best not to drag the kids along but most everyone they knew was busy or involved in the wedding party. So, Patty called me and asked if I would mind sitting with the children at her house. I said sure.

When I arrived that night, everyone was in a wild state of affairs. Jules' kitten had disappeared and no one could find it. They looked high and low. They were frantic. How could they tell Jules what had occurred! I shooed them off with assurance that the kitten would probably appear once everyone had left, that it was probably just scared due to all the hustle and bustle going on in the house. Sure enough, about an hour or so after I put the kids to bed I heard a plop and a kablink sound come from the closet that housed the washer and dryer. I opened the doors and out dashed the kitten. He was a bit skittish and wouldn't let me near him so I went back to watching whatever program was on the TV at the time. Next thing I know, the kitten is climbing all over the furniture. It is up on the kitchen table. It's trying to eat the house plants. It jumps ontop of what looks like a very old and expensive armoir. I try to shoo it down from these places and it comes at me hissing and swatting with its claws. It scared the bejeebers out of me! I thought the thing was possessed. Ever since then, it was known as demon kitty and never became my friend.

I guess age or jealousy works wonders on a cat's attitude though because as I was rocking the baby on the second evening of my vacation, Meela decided to make amends and join us on my lap.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meela probably decided that if they trusted you with their new baby, you must be ok. You look quite cumfy with a baby in your arms and a kitty on your lap. LOL

Anonymous said...

They're all kind of demon-possessed when they're kittens...

You would have loved coming down to my house.  I have eight...and a dog.  Probably good that we chose a neutral territory.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

aww what a great picture...that baby is so precious.
Cats when they are little tend to be alittle off the wall, at least that is my experience with them.
Sounds like you had a great time on your vacation and fish throwing too :)

Hugs,
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

That is a great picture!  JAE

Anonymous said...

Awwww!  The cat looks bigger than the baby! :)

Anonymous said...

GREAT pictures!  And I LOVE that shot of you and the baby and cat, very sweet!  Get that one framed. :)

About waking up at 3, are you sure your not stressed?  Sometimes stress comes that way, before we even realize were worried about something.  It wreaks havoc with our sleep schedule.  I guess it's the waiting game right now, to see if it iron's itself out.  But, in the meantime.  rest when you can, and don't worry about getting entries out. :)

Your trip sounds wonderful, and that curry dish, YUM!  Love the way you describe things, right down to the last detail.   I felt like I was there. :)

Anonymous said...

That picture is just beautiful....you, the baby, and the cat....what a beautifully preserved memory!  I loved the collage too!

Anonymous said...

Age and jealousy work their magic on us all, I imagine.

But aren't you just the beautiful Earth Mother there, rocking your little friends, all creatures great and small? You all look very happy and content.  Blissful, even.

Love the sound of that restaurant.  And hey ~ I slapped that fish and threw that pig at the market, too!  Or was it the other way around.... :)

Anonymous said...

I envy you!  I wish I got to visit the world famous Pike St Fish Market!  You must have heard of FISH, the video, no?

Anonymous said...

this is my favorite city in the whole world.  One day I'm moving there.  These shots bring back happy memories.

Derek

Anonymous said...

That`s a wonderful Pic of the three of you!
Great collage!
V