Monday, January 03, 2005

Home, Again ~ Home. Again!

The only entry I managed to write while on vacation. But, I have off today. So, as I try to get settled in and do some cleaning, I'll be back to write more and to begin catching up with everyone on their journals.

I arrived in San Antonio on Thursday two hours later than I originally planned. I had missed my original flight. I worked until almost 8:00 p. m. the night before. When I got home, I had to make arrangements to leave my Beta fish with a co-worker. By the time that was taken care of, it was almost 9:30 p. m. I made a couple of phone calls and sent a couple of emails. It was nearing 10:00 p. m., or so. I was feeling a wee bit tired so I thought I'd lie down, watch T.V., and relax a bit before I began packing. I fell asleep! I did not wake up until 4:40 a. m. the next morning. I had intended on being at the airport at 5:00 a. m. which would place me there two hours before my flight was scheduled to leave.

I rushed into the shower and threw some clothes in a suitcase, leaving behind my presents that I had bought my mom and step-father. I called a taxi and arrived at the airport one hour before my plane was scheduled to leave. I figured time would be tight but I would make it to the gate in time to catch my flight that is until I saw the line to check baggage at the curbside check-in. So, I went inside to see if the ticket counter was any better. It wasn't. It was worse! I went back outside to stand in line with hope that somehow the line would move quickly. It didn't. I checked in my baggage at 7:00 a. m., the time my flight was scheduled to leave. Somehow, my baggage made the flight, but  I didn't. I was put on stand-by for the next flight at 9:30 a. m. It was overbooked and I was unable to get on. I spoke with the wonderful gentleman at the gate and he began searching for another flight for me. He wasn't having much luck. He gave me another stand-by option for later that day and another for the next day. I told him unless he could secure me a confirmed flight I was going to rent a car and drive. He thought I was crazy, but the loss of revenue spurred him to try harder. He got me on stand-by status for a flight leaving at 11:30 a. m. that had eight unpaid reserved seats. If those eight people did not show up soon those seats would be open for those on stand-by. I was first in line since my ticket was paid foralready. Much to my good fortune, I was able to get on the flight.

With one miracle under my hat, I called my mom the next day from my friend, Debbie's house to let my mom know I was on my way to her house. She lives about two hours southeast of San Antonio. My mom told me it was snowing and to be careful. Knowing that my mom tends to exaggerate, I took her warning with a grain of salt. As I drove along, I saw nothing that gave me the indication that snow was looming on the horizon.  As I reached the sign that said Yorktown with nine more miles to go to my mother's house, I spotted a few flurries fluttering in the air. I scoffed and thought, "That's not snow!"

I arrived at my mom's and saw a whisp of snow accumulated on the steps but still it was only flurries in the sky. Within minutes of arriving, the sky opened up and the flurries quickly turned into a shower of white fluff falling to the ground. Within a couple of hours a dusting could be seen across the land and was even accumulating on the backs of the cows. My stepfather and I went out to feed the baby calf that lost its mother. I snapped a ton of pictures figuring the snow fall would stop soon and the accumulation would melt by morning. Later that night my step-father called me to look out the back door. The snow had not stopped and was still coming down at a steady pace. There was now about a three-inch blanket covering the ground. There was even thunder and lightening! When it first started, we thought we were hearing things. Even though the snow was steadily coming down, I snapped a few pictures from the door, because I really didn't expect it to still be there in the morning.

I woke Christmas morning and rushed to look out the window. There was at least a foot  of snow covering the ground. The news said it had been eighty years since something such as this had occurred in that area. My step-brother and his family live less than twenty miles away and didn't even get a dusting. It was an amazing sight to see. I went out and snapped some more pictures of our White Christmas in South Texas. I'm putting together a little movie to show on my journal but it will have to wait until I get back home on my broadband. It has been quite a few years since I have seen snow. I never thought coming to South Texas would bring my next snow experience, another miracle indeed. They say things happen in threes. I'm left wondering what might be next.


sunflowerkat321 said...

How incredibly cool!!  I'm sure it's a Christmas experience you'll remember forever!

geminiwilder said...

what beautiful photos, robbie!!!  :)  glad you got to see snow, and i hope you enjoyed it!!!   also glad you are home safe.  now tell us all about your trip!   ;)    xo phinney   and p.s. Happy New Year!!!!

mlraminiak said...

Couldn't you just hear Bing Crosby crooning in the background?  Looks like most people across the country got a white Christmas this year.  We didn't, but I didn't miss it...  Snow is too much of a pain in this neck of the woods, especially if you have to drive somewhere.  Glad you had a wonderful snowy day!  Lisa  :-]  

freeepeace said...

Awww ... I have tears and chills.  A snowy white Christmas.  Beautiful.  Can hardly wait to see the movie.  I miss snow (for like a minute).  What a magical time for it to make an appearance.  And of course, by the time I was reading the last paragraph, your music started playing and scared the chills into me.  ;)  I have GOT to remember this is the music place.  Hey, will you remind me of that code again?  I'm at a loss there.  Thanks.  Happy New Year!  And Welcome Home! xo

onestrangecat said...

sorry about all the plane troubles.  but you got there and that is what is important.

a white christmas in texas no less!!!!!!!! how great.


deabvt said...

Beautiful Story, robbie.

slowmotionlife said...

The snow in Texas was a rare miracle!  We were all so excited.  You're sooo blessed to have come at the right time. What a gift for Christmas, right?  Love the photos!  And more than glad to see that you made it home again, safe and sound.  MISSED YA!!!  :D

ksgal3133 said...

ooo snow in TX! We lived there for 4 years and seen snow once.
Welcome home!


judithheartsong said...

glad you got there, and a Christmas snow just for you!!!! hugs to you, judi

plieck30 said...

Yep you're from Texas alright measuring distance by time instead of miles. lol I am so jealous you all got the snow and we got only flurries. Paula

viviansullinwank said...


Happy New Year! You had a couple of miracles under your belt during your vacation.  So you were about a 4 hour drive from me.  The next time you come to San Antonio, if you have enough time we should try to meet halfway or something and meet. There are lots of J-landers in TX!!


sepintx said...

Snow! What you got makes what I saw look silly and vain. You had a white Christmas! I love the shot with the flags :-)