Monday, August 02, 2004

Community

Community: 1 : a unified body of individuals: as a : state, commonwealth b : the people with common interests living in a particular area; broadly : the area itself <the problems of a large community> c : an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location d : a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society <a community of retired persons> e : a group linked by a common policy f : a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests <the international community> g : a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society <the academic community> 2 : society at large 3 a : joint ownership or participation <community of goods> b : common character : likeness <community of interests> c : social activity : fellowship d : a social state or condition © 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated (Emphasis my own.)

No, this award is not for me. I've been tooting my own horn a lot lately. This time I want to take a moment to toot someone else's horn. This award is dedicated to her for her amazing gift for creating community and leading the way in J-Land. Who you ask? Why, Vivian, of course.  She works full-time while raising a son as a single mother. She's the hostess with the mostest. She's the graphic queen extraordinaire. But, beyond that she is a woman of heart and substance who services the AOL journaling community tirelessly.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it is that I like so much about AOL-J. I've come to the conclusion that it is the sense of community that I feel here. Is it AOL's doing? I'm not sure. I think partial credit should be given to AOL for providing things like Scalzi, the Editor's Pick, AOL Hometown Journals, and other things. However, the bulk of the credit really goes to people like Vivian . She gives so much time, talent, knowledge and love to her fellow journalers that I don't think it would be nearly the rewarding experience that it is without her. She created things like the Birthday Journal and headed the recent Anniversary Celebration. I read in Vivian's journal recently that she isn't the leadership type, that her work superiors have labeled her what I would equate to a worker bee. Oh how wrong they are! True leaders serve their community without being asked. They are the unsung hero. Today, Vivian, I am singing your song. You deserve to be recognized for all that you have done to create the community that I so love. Thank You!!! And, Happy Anniversary AOL-J.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vivian is wonderful.  

Anonymous said...

Robbie, That was wonderfully written for a wonderful woman.
Thanks.
V

Anonymous said...

Great tribute for Vivian!  I like the Community definition, very true!
Love you, Penny

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute and entry :)

Anonymous said...

Trying to catch up on the reading I didn't get done over the weekend...

Glad everything is AOK with your mom.  It is SO scary when someething happens when you are far away.  All you can really do is sit and worry.

I think Vivian is wonderful, too.  Her birthday journal is the only Anniversary Celebration thing that I have taken a shine to.  It's a great idea, and she's been working very hard on it.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

huge YEA for Vivian!!!!

Anonymous said...

Robbie-Excellent!!!
Thanks for sharing!!_rrose

Anonymous said...

She is Miss Congeniality and a marketing expert all in one and with a big heart too. GOD BLESS YOU, VIVIAN as HE has blessed us with your presence.

Angela

Anonymous said...

You've done a great job of tooting Vivian's horn, Robbie!  
Nice tribute!!!    ~Phinney

Anonymous said...

You know what Robbie? I've been thinking too these last few minutes. I keep saying I can't imagine what it would be like without her. But now I KNOW what it would be like. Just like it was for me before I met her. Completely BORING!  I'm with you on the idea that she is DEFINITELY a leader! And the best kind of leader too!  Not only is she gracious and caring to a fault, but she inspires us -- she takes us to heights we'd never see were she not present.  And she does it all with no thought for herself and what she might have to do. Vivian's really put her all into this community and I'm so thankful we have people like you who recognize her for what she is: a gift from Above! Thanks for honoring her Robbie! I can't wait till she sees this! :-)

Anonymous said...

I read her journal often, as I do many more.  I get really vibes from it...........so IMSPIRING!!!!  She is something very SPECIAL indeed.  So, Vivian, did it hurt when he cut your wings and you fell to the ground?  An ANGEL on Earth you are!!
And Robbie Thank You for all the kind comments on my journal.  It also lifts my spirits! Angel on your shoulder!!!!  Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Very good summation of all that Vivian is to J-Land. She embodies what makes a good working community, a role model to some, a friend to many.
Blessings, Auntie Lyn

Anonymous said...

Robbie  thanks for sharing this wonderful entry   john

Anonymous said...

I second your nomination! She is truly someone who has gone above and beyond for the community.

Anonymous said...

I am so completely humbled & awed by Viv's monumental efforts on our behalf.  I just don't know how she does it.  Very sweet of you to honor her.  ¤Holly

Anonymous said...

::applauding:: I agree! Vivian is the glue of AOL-J! She has brought so many of us together. A woman I am so proud to call my friend! {{Viv!}} Wonderful entry, Robbie!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add my praises to her name...

Anonymous said...

awww, that was really great. and soo true. viv is the heart of j-world. :) great entry robbie! :)

Anonymous said...

A great tribute, Robbie.  Viv is indeed a wunderkind.  What would J land be without her!