Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Desiderata ~ Translates from the latin to "Things Desired"

Go placidly amid the noise & haste, & remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.   ]] Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.  ]] If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.  ]] Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.  ]] Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. ]]] Be yourself.  ]]] Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.  ]]Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.  Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with  imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. ]]] You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. ]]] And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. ]] Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, & whatever your labors & aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. ]]Strive to be happy.
--- Max Ehrmann, 1927

Thanks Txsguinan for reminding me about this poem.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I have it framed and it hangs in my family room.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this for years, but it always strikes me as being simple but profound. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

:) Wonderful!!!
:) Kate

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness you are back. I SOOOOOOOO needed to read these words. Extra fortification. Thanks Robbie, and for your supportive words you left for me over at my place.
~RC~

Anonymous said...

Oh, that surf graphic is SO PRETTY! And heh, heh. That's going to be what I see in about 38 days when I leave for that Caribbean cruise.

Believe me when I say that I will take the fact that I am a child of the universe to heart. I plan to soak in all in, too. In silence. And at length.

That's for the reality check here, Robbie!

Anonymous said...

Lovely sentiments & quite beautiful, but I'm just wondering... when did you find time to visit the Dahli Lama? ;-) Holly

Anonymous said...

This is a classic and one of my favorite pieces of literature.
So much to admire and do in this. Thanks for reminding ME!
Love you, Penny

Anonymous said...

I sense a personal exorcism in this. All good advice, though sometimes difficult to follow. In the end, though, it is easier to be kind. It is more rewarding to be generous. And time is always well spent in love. :)

P.S. Love ya! :P

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Great reminder! :)

Anonymous said...

This is more beautiful each time I read it. Today was a perfect day for me to heed to this timeless advice. Thanks so much for sharing Desiderata!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Thank you.

:)
chris

Anonymous said...

Well said, Robbie. Go placidly amid the noise and haste.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Robbie....and so meaningful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

Hmph! I wrote this and that bastard took credit for it. Just so ya know! LMAO! :-)

Gregg

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Robbie. (and thanks for the link!) ... :)

Anonymous said...

um...that 'gigi' below is me. I forgot again. sorry. sheesh ... :P